The last four months were tough for the Bollywood industry as the blame of the untimely demise of Sushant Singh Rajput was being put on it. During the probe of SSR’s death case, certain media houses used highly derogatory words and expressions for Bollywood.
Now, the top Bollywood filmmakers and four Bollywood associations on Monday have filed a civil suit before the Delhi High Court against these media houses who slandered the industry’s reputation. Several names from the film industry like Shah Rukh Khan, Karan Johar, Aditya Chopra, Farhan Akhtar, and more were dragged. Now, the industry’s biggest names have come together to take legal action against the media houses and two media houses in particular.
The civil suit has been filed against Republic TV’s Arnab Goswami and Pradeep Bhandari and Times Now’s Rahul Shivshankar and Navika Kumar. The producers have stated that the channels used ‘highly derogatory words and expressions for Bollywood and listed a few bad terms as well which were used over the past few months.
BOLLYWOOD STRIKES BACK… Leading film associations  and top production houses  file lawsuit against reporting by certain media houses in #DelhiHC… #AamirKhan #AjayDevgn #AkshayKumar #SRK #AdityaChopra #KJo #RohitShetty #RiteshSidhwani #SajidNadiadwala pic.twitter.com/ZawJ2Lh6YY
— taran adarsh (@taran_adarsh) October 12, 2020
Furthermore, the filmmakers also complained about the channels using provoking expressions like – ‘This is the dirtiest industry in the country’; ‘Cocaine and LSD- drenched Bollywood’ and more.
“Not only Media houses, but also social media platforms must refrain from publishing or making irresponsible, derogatory and defamatory remarks against the Bollywood and its members,” says the producers.
The producers want the court to stop the kind of reporting which violates the law and wants channels to withdraw and take down all the defamatory content they’ve published so far against the Bollywood.
#BollywoodStrikesBack About time too! These news media channels had crossed all limits. Using stars and abusing them for TRPs!! Why should it be tolerated?
— Simi Garewal (@Simi_Garewal) October 12, 2020
The producers said, “The livelihood of persons associated with Bollywood is being severely impacted by the smear campaign being run by the defendants. This is in addition to the ongoing pandemic which has resulted in extreme revenues and works opportunity loss. The privacy of the members of Bollywood is being invaded, and their reputations are being irreparably damaged by painting the entire Bollywood as criminals seeped in drug culture and making being part of Bollywood as synonymous with criminal acts in the public imagination.”
The suit has been filed by biggies of bollywood including Shah rukh, Salman and Karan johar
— Javed (@JoySRKian_2) October 12, 2020
The ones who have filed the civil suit included Producers Guild of India, the Cine and TV Artiste Association, Ad Labs Films, Ajay Devgn Films, Anil Kapoor Film and Communication Network, Arbaaz Khan Productions, Ashutosh Gowariker Productions, Excel Entertainment, Kabir Khan Films, Nadiadwala Grandson Entertainment, Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra Pictures, Reliance Big Entertainment, Rohit Shetty Pictures, Roy Kapur Productions, Vinod Chopra Films and Vishal Bhardwaj Films.